Treatment for Neurological Disorders
In simple terms, neurological disorder is any disease or disorder that is related to nervous system of our body. Any structural, electrical or biochemical abnormality in the brain, spinal cord or other nerves may result in various symptoms like paralysis, seizures, muscle weakness, etc.
Neurological disorders are quite often neglected by people unless they reach the extreme levels and affect routine life. This is highly dangerous as the initial symptoms if avoided, can lead to alarming and life threatening problems. Proper awareness about neurological disorders plays essential role in the treatment of patients.
Following are the common neurological disorders:
- Alzheimer's Disease - Disorder related to death of brain cells causing memory loss and cognitive decline.
- Migraine - Disorder associated with recurrent moderate to severe headache.
- Parkinson's Disease - Progressive disorder characterized by muscle rigidity affecting movement.
- Epilepsy - Disorder characterized by recurrent seizures.
- Back Pain and stiffness
- Dementia - Problem associated with disability in thinking and remembering.
- Stroke - Cell death resulting from reduced or interrupted blood flow to the brain.
- Paralysis - Loss of muscular function leading to loss of feeling in the affected area.
Some of the neurological disorders have a pretty good chance of getting completely treated, while others have very grim chances. It significantly depends upon the severity of problem and patient's overall health condition. Decision regarding treatment line is completely in the hands of your neurologist.
Diagnosis of Neurological Disorders
Correct diagnosis of neurological disorders is very essential. Read below to know about the various diagnostic tests that are used for diagnosis of above disorders :
- PET Scan
- CT Scan or CT Angiography
- Physiological studies (EEG and EMG)
- Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV)
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis
- Neuropsychological testing
- Blood Tests
These investigations help in understanding the disease process, and also monitor the level and effect of therapeutic drugs. Sometimes, genetic testing is also required in cases when patient has family history of neurological disorders.
The treating doctor may initially prescribe neurological examination and based on the result of these, he may further continue with diagnostic investigations.
Neurological examination helps in assessing the functioning of nerves and other activities like speech, vision, hearing ability, coordination and balance, any changes in behavior or mood, memory and mental status.
Nerve Conduction Velocity Test
Treatment of Neurological Disorders
Some patients may significantly benefit from the rehabilitation programs that help in restoring lost functions. There are therapies that have proved to be of great help in treatment of neurological disorders . Some of them include:
- Lifestyle changes in order to prevent or reduce the impact of disorders,
- Pain management as many disabilities can be related to considerable discomfort,
- Physiotherapy to treat the symptoms and bring back normal function, and
- Medication to either return to normal functioning of organs or avoid worsening of the patient's condition.
- Neurological Rehabilitation which is a treatment program specially designed for the patients ,depending upon
their medical condition. It includes exercises & activities to improve mobility, speech therapy, stress management
programs and assistance in activities of daily living (ADLs) .
Above therapies are used in treatment of following major conditions:
- Multiple Sclerosis Treatment
- Cerebrovascular disease and stroke treatment
- Movement Disorder Treatment
- Epilepsy Treatment
- Headache/migraine treatment
- Vestibular treatment
- Neuromuscular disease treatment
- Cognitive disorder treatment
Some conditions are also treated through surgical intervention (discussed in neurosurgery section). For example: brain tumor surgery, DBS surgery for Parkinson's disease, etc.
Top Spine & Neuro Doctors
Contact Us Now
Contact us for a Free No Obligation Medical Opinion and Estimated cost of treatment for best Spine & Neuro Care from Top doctors in India. Get Medical Opinion